Saturday, October 4, 2008

compost pile: day four

Yesterday I decided it was time to turn the pile.  The temperature was dropping just a bit - average of about 130 degrees over several places in the pile.  Plus, I was just anxious to turn it over and see what I would get.  Here is a before picture:

A close up after I knocked down one side:
After I finished turning the entire pile:
And one shot after just beginning the process:
Overall I feel pretty encouraged by the process.  I think I'll have some pretty nice compost in a couple weeks.

The planning process is ongoing.  I'm thinking about building a greenhouse (I don't know how I can avoid it, actually) and I checked out soil block makers online tonight.  Lots to think (and write) about.

p.s. - note to self: get the garlic planted!

2 comments:

P~ said...

The compost pile looks like it's cooking along well. You'll definitely have some good stuff for the garden next year.
P~

Michael Farnworth said...

Pretty good stuff here Nate. Who would have ever thought that I would ever be following the cooking dynamics of a pile of goat turds and a murdered pine tree... go figure.