Monday, November 17, 2008

recommended reading: the earth knows my name


The Earth Knows My Name:
Food, Culture, and Sustainability in the Gardens of Ethnic Americans
by Patricia Klindienst

The books asks the following question: why do you garden? The author travels the United States and interviews several families of different ethnic groups about the impact of the garden in their lives and, specifically, how it has helped them transition to a new home. It builds on the metaphor of a plant starting in one place, then being transplanted and establishing roots in another. Great stuff. Moving and inspirational.

I have moved around a lot in my lifetime, never living in one place for more than a couple years. This book left me wishing (I almost said "yearning!") for a homeland to call my own, but also instilled hope that I can place roots wherever I am, despite my wandering.

No comments: