Tuesday, November 11, 2008

evolution of a garden bed

The five stages of preparing the garden beds where the driveway used to be.

Starting point: asphalt

Step one: bust up the asphalt with a sledge hammer and take it to the dump.

Step two: use pick-axe to loosen up the ground underneath the asphalt, which, as you can see, is pretty much full of both large and small stones.

Step three: double dig the bed. This involves digging down to a depth of about 12 inches, removing all stones, and mixing in compost.

Step four: after letting the bed sit for about a week, plant the veggies - in this case, garlic.

Step five: wait until next summer and harvest.

In this last picture, you can see most of the different steps:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am seriously impressed with your efforts! I have no idea how you find the time, but you are motivating me to do some things with my garden this winter and I thank you for it.