Saturday, November 8, 2008

compost pile: late fall checkup

I moved the compost pile again last weekend, because it had cooled down significantly. I've been curious to see how it would do with the cold weather and the moisture that we've had. Well, it was warm. Not hot like it has been previously. Temperature? I'm not sure, because I think my thermometer is broken. I think it may be too wet. The micro-organisms need oxygen to work, and if there is too much water, they can't access the oxygen. So, after I took this picture, I put a tarp over it to protect it from the winter wetness. I'll probably leave it on until the spring. I'm hoping that when I pull the tarp off the pile (with a flourish, of course) it will be a dark brown crumbly mass ready to feed the garden.

1 comment:

Adam and Kristine said...

You are so talented. I love your blog.