Tuesday, August 26, 2008

a-z, garlic




(Thanks to extremenutritioncoach.com for the pic)

My original plan was to work the list of vegetables in alphabetical order.  But as I was reading through my book, I learned that garlic should be started in the fall for a summer harvest.  I guess it's sort of like bulb flower - if you want them to bloom in the spring, they need to stew all winter underground.  Makes sense to me.

So I ordered the 2 lb Large Garden Pack, from Filaree Farm in central Washington.  It was pretty spendy at $40 with shipping, but the supply should perpetuate itself so next year (and the year after that, and the year after that...) I won't have to order any.  And this looks like good stuff - it better be good stuff. 

If you're interested in growing your own garlic next year - it's time to order it now.  Many sellers are running out of garlic seed (which really means a clove of garlic).  Mine will be shipped to me in mid-September.

1 comment:

Allison said...

What about onions? Do you plant those in the fall as well?
Next time you order something let me know. I might want to get something too and we can split the shipping cost.